Driving Lessons - Non UK Licence

If you have a driving licence issued in another country, you can drive in the UK as long as you comply with British minimum age requirements, for example, 17 for cars and motorcycles. If you have a valid European Community licence, or hold any other non-UK licence, find out how to continue driving legally in the UK.

Holders of none European licenses who are now residents in the UK may only drive on their licence for a maximum of 12 months from the date that they entered the UK.

To ensure continuous driving you must take a UK driving test before the end of the first year.

Drivers with a valid licence from a country which has been designated by law for licence exchange should exchange their current licence for a UK licence.